US President Donald Trump warned on Saturday in a message on his social network Truth that"airlines, pilots, drug traffickers and human traffickers" should consider that Venezuelan airspace "will remain completely closed."
"To all airlines, pilots, drug traffickers, and human traffickers: Please be advised that the airspace over and around Venezuela will remain completely closed. Thank you for your attention! PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP," states the message from the president of the United States.
Trump's remarks come at a time of high tension in relations between Washington and Caracas, and without clarifying any other circumstances related to the closure.
They claim that Trump spoke on the phone with Maduro
Trump and Maduro spoke by phone late last week and even discussed a possible meeting between them in the United States, although there are no concrete plans for it to take place, various sources cited this Friday by the New York Times revealed.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio—a staunch opponent of Maduro, whom he considers an illegitimate president—also participated in the phone call, sources familiar with the call told the newspaper. However, both White House and Miraflores officials declined to comment on the matter, although the call was confirmed by two people close to the Venezuelan government.
However, Trump had said on Tuesday that he"could talk to save many lives" with Maduro, a conversation that would be"welcome" in Venezuela, according to Venezuelan Attorney General Tarek William Saab.
The conversation reportedly took place before November 24, when the designation of the Cartel of the Suns as a terrorist organization went into effect. According to the United States, the cartel, allegedly led by Maduro and other high-ranking regime officials, is responsible for"terrorist violence throughout our hemisphere, as well as drug trafficking to the United States and Europe," along with other organizations such as Tren de Aragua and the Sinaloa Cartel.
The revelation of the call comes a day after Trump announced that the United States Armed Forces will"begin very soon" to "stop" "Venezuelan drug traffickers" on the ground as well.
"We'll start stopping them on the ground. It's easier on the ground, and that's going to start very soon. We warned them to stop sending poison into our country," Trump said in a Thanksgiving call with military personnel.
US media outlets have reported several negotiations between members of the Venezuelan government and Washington. Recently, the NYT reported that Maduro had offered the United States a significant stake in the country's oil fields, along with a number of other opportunities for US companies. But Maduro sought to remain in power, and US officials broke off those talks in early October.
For its part, the Miami Herald reported that Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodríguez and her brother, Jorge, had made two proposals to the United States, with Qatar acting as intermediary.

